Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Apple Crisp

In my quest to quickly use up my preserves from last year, I focused on the jars of apple pie filling.  I have a lot of them, so they're pretty obvious in my pantry.  I needed to use them up, since I'm pretty sure Husband will have a coronary if I start bringing home apples and still have a whole pantry full of them.  (They're free AND from his mom, so I don't know HOW he could be upset).  I have so many plans for canning this year, so I suppose I should prove that we eat what I make.  Better late than never.

Apple crisp it is!  It's easy, quick, and Husband loves it (I tend to be most partial to desserts that involve chocolate brownies, but I have yet to figure out how to can that.)  Typically I'd make my apple crisp with fresh apples, but man, this was easier.  I suppose one could argue that I did all the work last fall, but that would assume my prior kitchen antics were considered work.
I buttered a casserole dish, and added 1 500ml (pint) jar of apple pie filling.


Then, I made the crumble.
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2/3 cup rolled oats  

Dump it on top of the apple pie filling, and spread to roughly cover.


Bake at 350º until bubbly and browning on top (maybe 15-20 min).  My mom and second-in-line-resident-apple-crisp-expert said this apple crisp is better, because doing it with fresh apples, you often can't cook down the apples long enough before the crumble is overdone, so this has a better consistency


I wanted to take a nice picture of the finished product, but unfortunately...


...Husband got to it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment