Friday, June 24, 2011

I had great intentions.  You see, my canned peaches from last summer were kind of a dud. Not living in a place where peaches actually grow, I had apparently bought a box of somewhat stringy, slightly mushy peaches, which when cooked and canned lost any real firmness they had ever posessed.  So, in order to use them up, I planned on making some nice peach muffins (something that you wouldn't expect to find nice firm fruit in).  Unfortunately, once I had already mixed together my dry ingredients, and half the wet, I realized that not only was Boy screaming like I had forgotten to feed him in the last ten minutes, but my last few jars of peaches had morphed into some sort of alcohol-like-food.  At this point Girl was singing some interesting nonsense song at the top of her lungs, and Boy spit up on my shoulder, and it seemed like a good idea to eat the peaches.  I refrained, this time.  My stomach audibly thanked my brain. 

I needed to improvise, so I pulled out a can of apple pie filling I had also made last year, and decided to wing it.  Here is my creation:


Apple muffins.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup apple pie filling
(run a knife through it to dice the apple pieces a bit)

Mix dry ingredients then add eggs, oil and vanilla.  Fold in apples.  Bake in muffin tins at 350 for 25 minutes.  makes 12
 
I did mine in muffin cups, but if you don't do that, you should grease the muffin tins.
 
Husband said he'd eat them, and Girl ate more than half of it then pronounced the rest of it "sticky"  (not quite sure what she meant by that). 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment