Saturday, August 27, 2011

Seafood Sauce

I'm not the biggest fan of seafood sauce, but since Husband could eat the stuff on packing peanuts, I decided to give it a shot.  As usual, I balked at the idea of using fresh summer tomatoes for something like this (I have yet to notice a difference between canned tomatoes, and cooked fresh ones, while there is a giant difference in eating them fresh) so, mine are still on the vine and I opted for picking up the Costco-sized can of tomatoes instead.

It's an easy recipe.

1-3.8L can tomatoes, pureed
zest and juice of 2 lemons
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup white vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Get all this into a pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer to reduce by about half.


Once reduced, bring to a rolling boil, then remove from heat and quickly stir in

3 cups grated horseradish

I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that horseradish is an evil, evil thing. 


If you don't enjoy cutting onions, you're not going to enjoy grating the horseradish.  I had the benefit of a warning from my mom, so I used the food processor outside...  but even still, I made the mistake of inhaling after opening the top and almost swore loudly.

Once you stop crying, ladle the hot sauce into prepared jars, affix lids and process in a hot water canner for 15 minutes.


I got 11-250ml jars out of this recipe, and because I have horseradish growing wild on my property, the whole shebang cost me a grand total of about $7 (including new seals).  Even if I had to buy the horseradish, it would have been barely more than a dollar a jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment