Monday, May 31, 2010

Birthdays of note.

I just turned 30 and I'm not sure what all the fuss was about.  Maybe it's my perception of the age, given that television tells me hitting my 30's is pushing me one step closer to the grave, and all my fun is over.  Because I know myself, I figured I was unlikely to suffer a breakdown by the change in decade, and I was right.  It was just another birthday (albeit a good one).  There was no crying, no gnashing of teeth and no regrets.  I figure hitting the new decade just means I have 10 shiny new years to fill. 

I don't really know why people have difficulty with the big 3-0.  it's really not that bad.  I suppose it's all mindset though.  If you are prone to the idea that 30 makes you "old", it might be a tough pill to swallow...  but to me, I feel I've lived long enough and experienced enough to be given the honour.   It's the perfect age.  You are old enough that you can be considered a grown up if you so choose, and you can still fall into the "young and stupid" bracket. 

Maybe it's because I have no regrets.  I think all birthdays would be tough if you weren't pleased at the way your life had transpired.  I've crossed enough off my life list to be happy with where I am and recognize that there is still a WHOLE lot of life left to finish the rest. 

Here's hoping I'm around to hit the next 30.

3 comments:

  1. Some people I know act like high-schoolers in their almost 40s so apparently 30 is the new puberty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. does that mean I'm going to get hair where I never had hair before?

    ReplyDelete