Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Shortest Distance Between Two Points.

I try really hard not to be passive aggressive, but I have to admit, my dislike for confrontation and the repercussions of it tend to make me sway a bit into dangerous territory sometimes.  However, I do think that as a society we should put an end to this destructive habit.   I want to be forthright.  To quote Dr. Seuss, you should: "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." 

I don't like self-imposed matryrdom.  I don't like guilt imposed on others.  I want people to be straight with me, even if they think it'll hurt, because it means more to me to have honest people around me than maintaining my feelings. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of people telling me they don't like something I said or did, as I'm pretty sure is the case for anyone with a heart.  That said, hear me out.  Perhaps, if we were more outspoken, and really told people how we felt, others would realize their mistakes and perhaps we'd all be better people for it. 

I don't have a lot of trouble seeing through passive-aggressive behaviour.  It's as obvious as bird crap on the windshield.  It's also the easy way out.  It's going to get an eye-roll from me, and a firm determination to avoid change.  I figure, why should I fix something if you're not even going to bother telling me?

As a slight aside...  To anyone out there who thinks I may be speaking directly at them...  if you feel convicted, be convicted, but I assure you, I have no specific person in mind as I write this.  That my friends would be passive aggressive.  I just really want to make a difference here, and I think that changing the way we treat each other will do great things for all of us. 

Let's start being straight with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment