Saturday, December 25, 2010

Aggle Flaggle Klabble

Well... Christmas is over, and sadly, I'm glad. 

While Girl should have been amazed and astounded at the wonder of it all... or at least sugar-buzzed and over-excited, she wasn't.  The poor kid has been suffering from a nasty bout of the dreaded influenza, and though the fever has been gone for a bit, she's apparently not happy unless she's asleep.  Two days ago she was awake a grand total of 5 hours, and yesterday wasn't much better.  Today, however, being Christmas day, she didn't get a nap, (though, in the spirit of full-disclosure, she did sleep until 1pm) and it was a brutal day for us both.  She could care less about presents, or food, or decorations or candy.  She felt miserable and I felt miserable because there was nothing I could do for her.

I know this won't scar her for the rest of her life, and she likely won't have panic attacks come next Christmas, but it really makes me feel crappy.  She is such a fun and crazy kid, and this would have been some parties she would really have enjoyed!  Instead, she was happiest when I put her in her bed. 

It's really hard not to feel as though I should have done something better, or tried harder or somehow been given a Christmas miracle that would have made it all better. Poor kid.  Poor mom.  I know I'm just beating myself up for no good reason, and logically, I understand, but maybe the pregnancy hormones are also kicking in, because I'm pretty down and out.

I just want a do-over... but give us both a week to recouperate.

1 comment:

  1. I love that kid. It sucks so bad when there's nothing one can do to help their kid feel better. Moms should be given super power to fix anything. Good thing her birthday is only a month away and then it will be all about her. I'm going out and buying her more presents!

    ReplyDelete