Thursday, December 2, 2010

Two is company, three is a crowd.

I have a strange kind of superstition.  I don't know why.  No one else seems to understand it, so it can't be inherited.  I guess it's just something I came up with along the way. 

When I was pregnant with Girl, I was a walking contradiction.  I measured way too big, but wasn't showing much at all.  I was warned about twins and the whole time I hoped for them.  People thought I was nuts, but my reasoning was somewhat sound.  You see, I wanted 2 kids, and it seemed more my style to do it all at once.  Go big or go home!  Of course, but the time I had my ultrasound I knew it wasn't to be. 

Now, I fear I have set myself up for the ultimate "God-has-a-sense-of-humor-moment."  It's this time before the ultrasound that messes with my head (and it doesn't help that I somehow end up with late ultrasounds EVERY TIME!)  I'm too big again, which should be obvious, since it's the same as last time, but now, it just seems more appropriate for my type of luck. 

The thought of twins NOW is terrifying.   Purely the logistics of the situation are beyond me.  I couldn't even buy groceries without needing another person. 

Luckily, my superstition has another odd side to it.  I heard from my SIL yesterday, who had been speaking with a pregnant store clerk.  Apparently she was looking a little shell-shocked and mentioned that she just found out she was having twins and she had a 2-year-old at home.

AAAH.  Relief. 

Someone else came along and stole my scary destiny. 

All is well in Whoville!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to ease your mind... for the time being :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boss at my previous job had twins for his #2 and #3 sons.

    Seems to be the most common time for multiples.

    ReplyDelete