Monday, November 22, 2010

Fake Tree... Fake Christmas

I can't do it...  I just can't.  For the last few weeks I have had my home decorated for a Christmas house tour, as around a thousand strangers tromped through and ooh-ed and ah-ed at my Christmas-y house (which incidently was decorated by the beginning of November).  It was fun, and today, as I take down Christmas decorations to send back to the store from whence they came, and replace them with more of my own, I can't help but stare at the artificial Christmas tree standing in the corner.   It's pretty enough.  Lit with lights and bedazzled with shiny baubles, it's ok. 

But, it's not a real tree.

Therefore, it's going away.

I can't, I'd die on the inside.  Christmas would not be complete unless there was a real tree stinking up the house real nice. 

People say they're too much work, so I decided to run a comparison.  Since I believe that putting up a fake tree is tantamount to eating a deli-turkey sandwich for Christmas dinner, I figured I'd see which was more work and effort.

We usually buy a tree rather than cut one (they tend to last better and are less scraggly), but I also buy my turkey rather than raise one and kill it, so I suppose we're even at the gate.


CHRISTMAS TREE:

Real Tree
Buying and bringing home tree - 45 minutes
Lighting and decorating (properly) - 2 hours
Watering 2 min/day over 14 days - 28 minutes
Undecorating - 1 hour
Vacuuming - 10 minutes

Artificial Tree
Dragging tree from closet and setting up - 45 minutes
Decorating - 30 minutes
Undecorating -30 minutes
Cramming back into closet - 10 minutes

Total time savings by using artificial tree - 2 hours 28 minutes.


CHRISTMAS DINNER

Real Dinner
Grocery shopping - 1 hour
Table setting - 1 hour
Cleaning for guests - 2 hours
Turkey - 4 hours
Potatoes - 45 minutes
Stuffing - 1 hour
Green Bean Casserole - 15 minutes
Gravy - 15 minutes
Carrots - 30 minutes
Homemade dinner rolls - 2 hours
Cranberry sauce - 20 minutes
Dessert - 1 hour
Cookie platter - 2 hours

Fake Dinner
make deli-turkey sandwich - 10 minutes

Total time savings by eating sandwich - 11 hours, 55 minutes


As you can see by my detailed and fully accurate comparison, You are saving far more time by making a sandwich than you ever would by getting an artificial tree.  Luckily, we have not yet found a way to kill the joy of Christmas dinner in the name of ease and expediency.  Granted, those among you who say that real trees are not worth it because they are too much work are probably the people who let their family do the turkey dinner, and merely attend. 

Let's not quibble.  I will bask in the light of my tree, with it's heavenly scent, and you can ignore yours in the corner while you watch TV.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you don't have an opinion on ths subject. :p

    What if you have an artificial tree AND a real one? Because I like setting one up early (to get it out of my system) and then having the real one (with the real smell and real needles) in the basement where we open the gifts. Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete