Thursday, October 8, 2009

Strong-willed child?


Girl has officially reached the point where she begins her new career testing her limits, so I have begun my career of saying "no" every 5 minutes (or less). I have decided that I'm not going to move everything she shouldn't touch out of the way, instead, she will just need to learn that coffee tables aren't for chewing (no, I will not remove the table) and candle screens aren't for touching (she's got the latter down, just need to work a bit more on the former).

I realized today, that while this whole thing seems a bit tired after the 52nd time, I'm truly hoping she has a strong will. Let's face it, we are unmatched in a battle of wills, so if she wants to have one with me, I'm game, I'll take her down every time. So really, that side of it doesn't bother me, but with that stubbornness comes a whole other side. If you can teach a strong-willed child the right way, they'll be strong-willed about doing what's right. They won't go along with the crowd because they are too insecure to say anything, they don't need to always be keeping up with the Jones'. More than anything, I want Girl to have her own mind, to feel free speaking it, and to have convictions that are unwavering.

I will consider myself a failure if Girl becomes a "monkey-see-monkey-do" kid that does things only because everyone else does, if she does hurtful things in hopes of getting a laugh, or is so insecure that she is willing to give herself up the first time anyone looks her way.

I'd rather have a stong-willed child. Bring it on baby! Let's see what you've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment