Saturday, March 6, 2010

12 Minutes to a Newer, Better Me!

I've had pneumonia for the last few weeks, so I've been catching up on my daytime television.  This week, I learned all about the Denise Austin Daily Dozen.  It's a diet plan where you exercise for 12 minutes a day, eat sensibly and lose 12 pounds in 2 weeks.  

Sounds great, I'd love to lose 12 pounds in 2 weeks.  Sounds great until I remember that I already exercise 30-60 minutes a day, 5 days a week and eat sensibly.  How sedentary do you have to be to be able to lose 12 pounds in 2 weeks by exercising a grand total of 84 minutes a week?   While I don't envy the obese, it  nevertheless makes me cringe when I hear stories about how "I stopped drinking pop and lost 57 pounds"  or "I started walking the 2 flights of stairs at work and lost 25 pounds".  It almost doesn't seem fair.  I don't drink much pop, I usually take the stairs, I'm fairly active and don't eat a lot of crap, yet somehow there is still 20 pounds that just won't go away.

Like I said, I had pneumonia.  I barely ate for a week and MAYBE lost 5 pounds.  (ok, before you get all weird, I'm well aware that this is not a diet and I'm not in any way expecting the 5 pounds to STAY gone now that nutrients have started entering my body again, so just calm down).   Oh well, soon enough my lungs will start working properly and I can get on the treadmill again.  Likely for a lot more than 12 minutes a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment