Wednesday, March 24, 2010

An Entertaining Thought

Entertaining.  It's entertaining isn't it?

I have to say, I love to entertain.  I know many who loathe it, but there is something about it that I thrive on.  I like to think I got this passion from my grandmother.  She was the queen of making too much food and making strangers feel like friends and friends feel like family.  While I strive to have that kind of hospitality in my home, my passion has risen to a whole new neurotic level.  While many struggle to have the ham AND the peas on the Easter table at the same time, I am wondering if I can make meringue bunnies and cream desserts inside real egg shells. 

My favourite thing is making miniature food, because what is better than mini hamburgers (made on homemade buns because storebought ones are too big) with a side of hickory stick "fries"?   


Nothing is safe from my shrink ray.  Bite-sized spinach dip? (done that, had to make the pumpernickel buns too),


Miniature cheesecakes and black forest cake? Mini reubens and grilled cheese sandwiches on homemade bread made in mini loaf pans?  Why not!



I was told after a recent baby shower that I should cater.  You know, it would be fun, but I'd have to charge an arm and a leg to make it worthwhile.  Mini hamburger buns don't just make themselves you know.

Entertaining does have its downside.  Once you set a precident, there is no going back, and I really don't think everyone recognizes the time, effort and cash that goes into it.  I don't need medals or anything, just take a minute when you're scarfing down the food and think: "hey, I'm loved." 

'Cause really...  I wouldn't do it otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment