Thursday, March 18, 2010

Points of Contention

I LOVE customer loyalty programs.  I've been sucked in and there is no way out.  I enjoy working the system to get as many points as possible (while still only buying things I'll use), and spend as little as possible.  As a result, over the last year and a half, I have accumulated enough points to get over $500 in free groceries.

The problem is redeeming them.

Firstly, I have a bit of an obsession.  My coupon-savvy SIL put it best when she said "It's a competition between ME and the STORE".  It's true, I want to get as much out of them as humanly possible.  Because of this, in order for me to want to redeem points, I need to see the best deal.  Anything that is cheap, and gets me more points in return while being something that I can easily stock up on, is fair game. 

Unfortunately Husband doesn't see it this way.  He thinks that I should use all the points, get my free groceries and call it done, saving us the money now.  His argument is that inflation makes the points worth less the longer you keep them.  I guess that's true, but my plan isn't to save them until I die...  Just until the next unbeatable deal. Is it time to check the fliers for next week yet?

Secondly...  the store is making it difficult on me.  In order to pacify Husband, I decided to spend some of my points on regular groceries while waiting for a good deal.  Easier said than done.  The computer systems weren't letting me redeem so I called the customer help line to find out that somehow Husband had been made the "primary cardholder", and therefore the only person allowed to redeem points.  Since he was at work, I dug through the junk drawer for his extra key-tag-card, and headed off to the store, only to find out that HIS card was still listed as "inactive"...  apparently we had never fully activated his card and he could only collect, not redeem.  Now, if anyone else sees the idiocy in having the sole redeemer be a person who can't redeem points, please raise your hand.

I will redeem my points...  someday.  Until then, I'll relish the continually growing balance on my card.  Hello my babies...  it's not quite time to toss you from the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment