Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cold Turkey.

I weaned Girl recently.  I use the term "I" very loosely, since while she was being weaned I was somewhere in between calling out for death to come take me quickly and coughing up a lung.  So, the secret to weaning is:

1.  Get Pneumonia
2.  Give baby to someone else.

You see...  apparently not being on contraceptives = trying to have a baby = not breastfeeding 

Hooray for ER doctors and taking a full history.  I told him I wasn't on the pill, because we weren't preventing getting pregnant, so he assumed that I wasn't breastfeeding, and gave me IV antibiotics that are not safe for breastfeeding.  He told me now was a good time to wean anyway.  Oddly, he didn't know how old Girl was.

For entertainment, I'll quote him directly.

"uuuuuh, yeah, you can't breastfeed on these antibiotics.  I assumed that because you weren't on contraceptives that you were trying to have a baby, and if you're trying to have a baby, you shouldn't really be breastfeeding.  Well, now is a good time to wean"

Brilliant.

It was a rough few days (or so I was told) and Girl seems to have some separation anxiety problems now, mainly from my few "past bedtime" stints in the ER.  Apparently it got to the point where she brought Oma's shoes to her and walked to the front door.  Poor kiddo.  She's a trooper though, by the time I was well enough to make it to the couch, she was pretty much good to go, and luckily the combination of not eating, cold medication and antibiotics seemed to save me from any discomfort related to the whole process. 

Now, the only question is, how do I get myself some pneumonia next time around?

No comments:

Post a Comment