Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I have mixed thoughts about purple mustard.

I didn't think about it really.  Cranberry Mustard sounded intriguing, and there wasn't a picture of it to go with the recipe, so I really had no idea what it was going to look like, but lo and behold...  it's purple.

I mean really purple.  See?


I don't know.  Smells like mustard.  I'm not a huge mustard fan, but Husband said it smelled really good.  I'm just confused by looking at it.  I've never thought "you know what this sandwich needs?  a bit of PURPLE!"  That beet horseradish stuff confuses me too.

I digress.  In case you want purple mustard, here is the recipe:

Cranberry Mustard

1 cup red wine vinegar
2/3 cup yellow mustard seeds

Bring vinegar to a boil on high heat, remove from heat and add mustard seeds.  Let soak until they absorb most of the liquid (about an hour).  Prepare jars, lids and canner.

1 cup water
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 3/4 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)

In a blender or a food processor, combine soaked mustard seeds, water, and Worcestershire sauce, process until they are a desired consistency for mustard (basically, as smooth as you have patience for).  Add cranberries and blend up some more.

I warn you, by this point you might think you've made some sort of smoothie, since it looks like this:


Looks like a smoothie, smells like mustard.  Yummy!

Transfer the mixture to a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.  (At this point, I added another half cup or so of water...  since it was already pretty thick, and the recipe wanted me to reduce it further.  If I boiled it from the consistency it was, it would have just burned to the bottom of the pan.) 

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dry mustard powder
2 1/2 tsp ground allspice

Whisk in sugar, mustard powder and allspice, continute boiling until volume is reduced and thickened (anout 15 minutes)

Ladle mustard into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles, wipe rim and add lids, finger-tight. 

Process jars in hot water canner, ensuring they are completely covered in water.  Process for 10 minutes.

I made Husband try it, and the stuff is tasty, just purple.  I don't know about purple mustard. 


2 comments:

  1. Apparently they did a survey about cheezies.. (or something - I heard it on the radio once)

    If they didn't put an ounce of colour in them, they would taste exactly the same except they'd be grey. People wouldn't eat them based on the colour because it was too weird.

    I wonder if purple mustard would be the same? Too weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. probably. you eat with your eyes. I'm planning on making sandwiches for Husband and just not telling him.

    ReplyDelete