Monday, July 18, 2011

When to say when.

Throughout my journey of being a housewife, I have learned things about myself.  I have been realizing something about myself recently that will result in a change. 

There is no point in freezing fruit in this house. 

We don't use it.  Year after year I diligently freeze berries, and ever single year I intend to use them for "something". I never do.  I just gave away a bag of last years frozen strawberries (to my SIL, who uses them often for smoothies), and I just dug a pail of frozen blueberries from the depths of my freezer (it's a small freezer, so it wasn't really that deep).  I understand the benefits of freezing fruit, and I know all the things that I could do with the stuff, but once it's in the freezer, it's gone.  I don't touch it. 

This isn't really a new realization...  I've thrown away plenty of frozen fruit I've forgotten about.  I don't totally get why I haven't given it up yet, but the insanity stops here.

So remember, don't do something just because you think you should, or someone else tells you it's a good idea (even if that wise person is me).   When you store up for winter, make only what you'll use (or like me, stockpile into a stash of hostess gifts, stocking stuffers and shareables).  If you hate jam, don't make jam...  if you drink a smoothie every morning, freeze a whackload of fruit.

Those blueberries?  They're going join their friends in the pantry as jam and blueberry pie filling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment