Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Valuable life lessons.


I'd never have considered myself to be someone who was afraid of heights.  I don't actually think I am.  Husband has been working on painting the dormers of our house recently, since we're getting our roof replaced (hooray for hail and insurance!).  It's been a long process, so when Husband went to work yesterday, I decided to be helpful and give him a hand.  I've been pretty out of commission lately with the whole c-section recovery/gaping wound thing, so it felt good to be productive.  Maybe I was running off the endorphins created by last weeks basement clean-up, maybe I was just nuts, but there I was, up on the 2x8 board "scaffolding".  It took me a while to get up there, carrying my paint can and brush.  The roof is pretty steep and there is a good 4 feet from the edge of the roof to the board.  Once firmly placed, I looked around and immediately regretted my plan.  I didn't feel secure at all. 

I wasn't sure what to do.  Getting back to the ladder was impossible (the idea of crawling DOWN the steep roof right to the edge seemed a whole lot more daunting than climbing up).   I knew the window was open, since Husband had taken part of it down to fix, leaving only poly, a screen and a blanket (impromtu window covering in Girl's room while Husband also builds a "treehouse" in there, long story for another day) in my way.  So, I did what any good wife would do.  I painted my way to the window and let myself in.

Entertainingly, Girl was still in bed when I crawled through the window into her treehouse.  She thought it was fantastic. 

I felt like a failure, but at least I wasn't the kind of failure that ends up in the emergency room.  I took my disapproving looks from Husband gracefully, and now I know...  I'm not afraid of heights.  However I am afraid of falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment