Saturday, October 2, 2010

Beef Stock

Beef stock is one of the stocks I just about never make.  The reason being...  unlike chicken (or any kind of poultry) stock or pork stock, with beef stock, you need to start with roasted beef.  The idea of making a roast (no matter how cheap the meat) purely to dump it into a pot with water kind of seems like a lot of effort.  Unfortunately I haven't found a natural beef boullion base, or onion soup mix so if I ever want beef gravy, I'm going to need to do it. 


So, I made my mom cry a little on the inside.  After they ate their fill of roast beef, I chopped off the section with the bone and popped it into a pot with water to cover and about half a large onion (in wedges).  Apparently the section with the bone is the absolute best part, but considering I was planning on using the leftovers for roast beef sandwiches, it didn't help me much.  Getting gravy was a bit more important.  Don't worry mom, next time I'll think ahead and get some beef stock in the freezer.

Simmer on low for a few hours and miraculously, you have beef stock!  Strain out the chunks and stick it in the fridge or freezer.  Give it a happy hug and imagine tasty gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment