Saturday, October 2, 2010

Chicken Stock

What can I say...  I was in a stock making mood.  Actually, I just figured if I was going to have one stock simmering on the stove, I might as well have 2.  Husband and I had a roasted chicken this week, and since I know Thanksgiving is around the corner (and I have a turkey to make) I knew I needed some stock.  You see, I don't typically stuff my birds (they cook faster and stay juicier if they're empty, not to mention potential problems with too-low-internal-temperatures-sending-all-my-guests-to-the-hospital) so in order to get a nice moist and tasty stuffing without it being stuffed into the cavity of a roasting bird, I add some roasted chicken stock. 


When you're making chicken noodle soup, I'd recommend starting with raw chicken pieces, the flavour tends to be better, but for stuffing, roasted chicken carcasses are fine (they also work if you're making a soup with lots of other flavours, vegetable soups, etc).  Hey, waste-not-want-not right?

Take your decimated carcass and dump it (and any juices in the bottom of the pan) into a large pot with half a large onion (in chunks... and you don't even have to peel it if you don't want to), a good handful of carrots and some celery if you have.  I didn't, so onions and carrots did just fine.  Cover with water and simmer on ow for a few hours.


Strain, and stick into the fridge or freezer. 

 
I got about 4-5 cups or so...  soon I'll show you how to make the stuffing...  but we need to wait until next week for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment