Saturday, October 2, 2010

Standing Rib Roast

Roast beef is one of the many things that I cook purely for husband.  I can't stand the stuff myself, but I have a palate that would confuses the best of them.  For me, to eat meat, it typically has to be ground up, spiced and squished back together.  I'd take a hotdog over a steak any day.  I'm ok with poultry if it's swimming in a healthy pile of hot sauce, but beef...  unless I can make a hamburger out of it...  no thanks.


You might think I have some kind of animal rights thing going on...  I know some people don't like to eat meat that looks like what it was...  (fish with eyes...  whole chickens)  that doesn't bother me, I simply don't like the flavour.  I also don't like 99% of all alcohols, so I'm going to live forever. 

My first tip for making a roast is to get good meat.  A "standing rib roast" is one of the nicest cuts of beef you can get for a roast.  I bought mine at a local grocery store.  It was 5lbs and abou $20.  I know, that's a lot, but when you calculate based on getting something the same at The Keg...  Husband is getting a lot more meat, and enough leftovers to keep him in hot roast beef sandwiches for a week for less than a single meal.  The ambiance may not be the same, but he'll survive. 


First off, stud the beef with garlic.  Hey, everything is better with garlic.  Take a paring knife and stab the meat (close to veins of fat is the best, since the garlc will flavour better there)...


and shove hunks of garlic in as deep as you can.  For this 5lb roast, I used about 6-7 average cloves of garlic, sliced in half.  Stab them in from all directions so you get a somewhat even coverage.


Coat the outside liberally with seasoning salt and black pepper, and stick it in a roasting pan.  (any kind will do).  Get the oven to 350ºF and put the roast in.  We calculated by 20-22 minutes per pound for medium rare, so this one took just under 2 hours.  Get a meat thermometer if you're concerned and go with these internal temperatures

120°F to 125°F, (49°C to 52°C) for rare (Note: 120° is very rare).
130°F to 140°F (55°C to 60°C) for medium rare
145°F to 150°F (63°C to 66°C) for medium
155°F to 165°F (68°C to 74°C) for well done


Unfortunately, now that we're doing the Real Food Experiment, I'm not allowed to use onion soup mix, so the gravy was a little scarce (I also don't have beef stock readily available)  I should probably remedy that for next time.  This roast can easily feed 6-8 people.  We had 2 1/2 eating it, and we have a LOT left over. 
 
Husband was thrilled.  I ate soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment