Monday, September 28, 2009

Diary of an Inventor, Part 4


It's kind of an interesting phenomenon. I've noticed that once you start thinking like an inventor, there is just no stopping it. The floodgates open and every single item that is difficult to use comes rushing in to be re-designed or re-created, and you suddenly start seeing products that could make life easier, if only you create them. It's a rush. Looking for the next big thing, that flighty little good idea that will result in financial freedom without the back-breaking labour. That one elusive idea that would turn us from regular working joes, into those people who have others looking at us and saying "why didn't I think of that?"

Yesterday, during the initial testing of Prototype #1 of Invention #2, I decided to buy some stuff that had been recommended to me called "Shape Lock", basically it's a plastic-y substance that you can melt down in water, in the microwave, or with a heat gun, to mold a prototype. It dries hard and durable, and if something doesn't work... you just melt it down all over again. (Pretty brilliant stuff, why didn't I think of that?) Anyhow, a tub of the stuff (remember, it's reusable) cost a paltry $15 US. Ok, I get it, there is the exchange rate, shipping, taxes etc, but really, over all, a pretty cheap-o investment. Husband was shocked at my carefree spending. He said "do you even know what this stuff is? Are you sure you can't buy it here? Who knows, maybe they sell it in bulk at the scoop-and-weigh!?" Well, I could spend the next month looking for it, experimenting with other products, or I could spend the TWENTY-SOME DOLLARS, and have it now.

He thinks it's a compulsion, but I guess I can just turn his words back on him from when I tease him about the plethora of VWs that seem to breed in our backyard: "It could be worse honey, I could be a gambling alchoholic."

No comments:

Post a Comment