Monday, September 14, 2009

When are words really words?

I want to ask all the mothers out there... at what point in your child's life, do you just start making stuff up? See, I have one of those baby book/calendar things, and I can't figure out when I'm supposed to write stuff in there. For example... Girl has lately taken to parroting things that we say. So far, she has said "Mom", "Dada", "Ummm-ah" (Oma), and "Hi Dad" when prompted. Does that mean she can talk? would those be her first WORDS? is repetition the same as actually talking? I know that often enough babies put syllables together into "words" that are amusing to us grown-ups, but are really nothing more than a lucky coincidence, so one needs to look at the context.

Girl knows who Mom is, same with Dad, and Oma, so, by saying these things, is she actually talking? or just repeating what she hears? If so, don't know when her first words were... if not, how will I know the difference?

I admit... I haven't kept track nearly as well as I should and occasionally I'll go to write something into her calendar and my mom would say "oh, she did that before" so I just make up a date and call it done. I'm a terrible mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment