Thursday, August 19, 2010

Better than the aquatic variety.

I've been feeling a bit bad lately, since Girl, at a year-and-a-half, doesn't really get the whole new menu thing.  She doesn't care that much, and I do my best to find things that replace some of the other stuff she eats.  While wandering the grocery store however, I heard her ask for one thing in particular.  "Fishies".

I hit the internet and found some cracker recipes and modified them.  Here you are, Cheesy niblets for the wee ones!


1 200g package of cheddar cheese, grated
(I used old, since it'll give you the best cheesy bang for your effort)
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat, but white, spelt, etc will also work)
1/4 cup butter (cold)
1 tsp of salt
Spices to taste
(Girl is no stranger to flavour, so I added 2-3 tsp of smoked paprika, and a shake of garlic. They smell AMAZING!)

Dump this all into your food processor and pulse until it looks like fine crumbs.


Add water a tablespoon at a time until it comes together in a ball (about 3 Tbsp)

 

Once you have the dough, roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface and cut into shapes.  It's easiest I'm sure to use a pizza cutter and make squares or something, but I often feel the need to justify my mini-cookie-cutter collection, and Girl is at the point where she likes naming shapes, so I did a variety of different ones.

Put them on a pan layered with parchment paper.  You can get them really close, they puff up but won't spread into each other.  Bake for 10 minutes at 400ºF.  Take out of the oven (stick another pan in) and let cool for about 10 minutes, flip the crackers over if you like.  Then pop them back in for another 5 minutes. 


MMM.  Cheesy and delicious with a nice smoky flavour.   They will keep for a bit, but if you're going to take longer than a week to eat them, (or you want to make a lot and store them) stick them in the freezer.

Now I'd better go upstairs before Husband eats them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment