Monday, August 23, 2010

Polly want a cracker?

I live with a parrot now.  She's a cute parrot, but wow... being a censor is a pain!

Girl has a vocabulary that astounds me.  She said "Poppycock" yesterday and I have no idea where that one came from.  I never really counted her words, but it seems that every day she's saying things she didn't before.  She's getting her short sentences, but yet always says "Potato" when pointing at a tomato, no matter how many times I correct her (which is funny since she loves potatoes and hates tomatoes, yet calls them both the same)

Most primetime TV is now out, which is frustrating, since she goes to bed at 9:30.  I need a PVR.  Maybe when the new fall lineup is on I'll use exercising as an excuse to watch my favourites.  It seems like a win win.  I get the remote and a tighter tush and Girl gets daddy time. 

My question is...  how exactly, of all the words they hear, do they know to parrot back the exact ones you don't want them to? 

Not only do I have to watch what I say now...  I also have to watch what I do.  I was cooking last week, and wanted to check the weather, so I turned on the TV and sat on the coffee table to wait for the forecast.  Girl brightened and made a beeline for the coffee table.  Climbing on tables is a no-no here, and I guess she figured it was now ok.  I had to give myself a time out.

I guess it's true when they say parenting gets harder mentally as kids get older.  Not only am I trying to raise a good girl, I have to be one too!

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of parroting what you DON'T want...

    We went through an awkward, albeit almost funny (but not at the time), stage with Cooper about 6 months ago. He picked up the "s" word and used it quite frequently at the store, at the park, in church and at our family's houses (you can imagine how that went over).... Eventually we even perfected the "I can't believe he said that, this is the FIRST time!!" look when we were in public.

    We really thought we were going to lose our minds in frustration but as soon as we stopped caring, he stopped saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should mention that he did NOT learn that word from us. OK he did, but it was during traffic. :|

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha... That's too funny Jordan!

    I'm not looking forward to that stage... I'm going to have to start censoring myself now in preparation :P

    ReplyDelete