Monday, August 30, 2010

I Heart Texas Roadhouse.


I've always loved Texas Roadhouse.  Ever since the first time I sat, eating my food and realized I had seen a show on the food network about them.  This restaurant is a strange breed.  They are open only for dinner because the rest of the day they are cutting their own meat, making their own salad dressing, grating their cheese from real actual blocks of cheese (rather than bags of cheese pellets), and frying bacon that looks like bacon (rather than bacon crumbled dust). 

From the first homemade buns with cinnamon butter to the last bite of dinner (I have yet to have room for dessert), it's delicious!  Unfortunately, where we are, the nearest Texas Roadhouse is across the border, and 2 1/2 hours away.  Because I am such a dedicated blogger, I sacrificed myself for a weekend to sample the food (and catch some cross-border shopping!).  

I'm sure meat eaters would love Texas Roadhouse.  The portions are large, the value amazing (even if you compare with other chains who serve food from boxes and pre-portioned vacuum-packs), and the food has a real home-cooked feel to it.  Husband usually orders the Dallas Filet (in 8oz) because really, where else can you get beef tenderloin for under $15?  The beef is aged and cut in house, and cooked to order.

Apparently they won a national or international rib competition recently, unfortunately...  I didn't really read the poster very well.  They got number one though.  *shrug*.  I don't like ribs...  sorry. 

Because you can't just eat meat (well, maybe you can) Texas Roadhouse has great sides.  Baked Potato, Sweet Potato, Cup of Chili, House Salad, Caesar Salad, Apple Sauce, Fresh Vegetables, Mashed Potatoes, Seasoned Rice, Green Beans, Baked Beans, and Steak Fries.  My personal favourite will always be their house salad with italian dressing.  It's just a side salad, but has fresh grated cheese and hard-boiled eggs in the mix with your standard salad veggies.  All of the salad dressings I have tasted are really good and if they bottled it, I'd have brought a bunch home. 

As a side note, we tried the new deep-fried pickles.  YUM!  Girl was very pleased!

My only complaint this time was that I ordered the Chicken Critters, and asked for a side of buffalo sauce, and I wasn't thrilled with it.  It seems to be homemade, but I had to skim off a greasy oil-slick from the top, and being a hot sauce junkie, it wasn't that great.  It would likely be better tossed on wings (where you need the extra fat) but in a bowl it was disappointing. 

Overally, I think more restaurants should follow this model.  It has proven to be profitable for Texas Roadhouse, and what could possibly be bad about making your own food from real ingredients?  It sure does taste good!

No comments:

Post a Comment