Monday, August 23, 2010

Week One Rundown

It's been a long week.  I feel a lot more stable now knowing I have a pile of food in the freezer.  I went to an italian market and found dried pasta that fits the diet (contains only durum semolia and water), so other than experimenting with my aunt's electric pasta maker, my days of pasta making may be over.  (HOORAY!)

I haven't noticed a significant increase in grocery cost.  I spent a lot this week, but it wasn't different than any other major cooking week.   I have a feeling that in the long run it might actually work out cheaper, purely because I'm forced to plan my meals rather than wandering the grocery store waiting to be "inspired". 

I don't feel any healthier.  It's only been a week after all.  Unfortunately I got a weird hacking cough just as I started, so it's really hard to tell anyway. 

We've been doing really well, although, with our minimal water useage situation (I'm hoping it gets fixed today, finally!) we've been having to rely on using our family's houses for good parts of the day, including some mealtimes, so I can't honestly say we've been eating everything 100% from scratch.  Everything I've made and served has been, but we don't expect others to do the same when we visit. 

I do however find myself eating more things I wouldn't normally.  I tend to be a somewhat picky eater, but the idea of preparing two different meals from scratch is a bit daunting.  I also made a bread that husband really likes and I'm not too keen on (It's a dark european rye), but since I'd have to make another type of bread if I want it, I'll eat it for a few days.

The more I do this, the more I realize the value of the experiment.  I am definitely more conscious of what I'm eating.  It pushed me out of routine, out of a rut that said "this is what you eat now, just because that's what you usually eat".  It's causing me to experiment, try new things, and look more carefully at what I'm eating.  For example, just because there are potato chips that are made with only oil, salt and potatoes, it doesn't mean I have to eat them. 

I have zero proof that will tell you it's healthier to eat this way, but I do find a certain sense of pride in making things from bare, raw ingredients.  It really is nice to have bread rising on the counter in the morning. 

I do really want a Pepsi though.

1 comment:

  1. I bet you will find a way to make your own soda :)

    Great job! I'm really happy and proud of you. You're an inspiration and you make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete