Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Who came up with this anyway?

Someone in this house came up with a bonehead idea today.  I'm not naming any names, but it will result in a whole heap of a lot of work for me and quite possibly in complete failure.  I won't point fingers because frankly, I don't like being pointed at. 

It was a rash decision, a whim, and before I thought it through fully, I told Husband.  Now, to be fair, normally Husband is pretty good at shining light on my dumb ideas and sending them back to whatever fantasyland they came from.  Unfortunately, he did nothing as my sober second thought.  He thought it was brilliant.  Who is this guy?

Here's the idea.  For a year, the three of us will not eat anything that isn't "real food".  My personal definition of real food is stuff that doesn't have unpronouncable ingredients on the label.  Basically, whever we eat will be made from scratch, using only "normal" ingredients.   Any convenience food is out.  Salad dressings, bread, yogurt, salsas, tomato sauces, and everything else we typically buy pre-made will be made at home. 

Kraft Dinner is out.  So is cereal, soda, chips, chocolate (unless I bake something myself with cocoa powder). 

Before you all think I've wandered off the deep end, indulge me.  I'm sure it's no secret that the "western diet" sucks.  Period.  Pretty much every other culture in the world is healthier, thinner and live longer.  They don't pay attention to fat grams, or carbs, or calories.  They just eat real food.  So, that's what we're going to do.  It's our little experiment. 

To clarify, this is NOT:
- The Hundred Mile Diet
- Organic
- a Cleanse/ Toxin-free diet
- Vegetarian/Vegan

It's purely trying to eat like our grandparents did.  I am also curious to see how much time it takes, and if there are any financial or health benefits.

I will be journaling our progress, explaining what I made and how I made it.  I'll detail the time it took and the cost in comparison to what we pay for groceries now.

Before anyone freaks out and abstains from inviting us to dinner, I assure you, as guests we will partake in whatever is served.  We're not crazy after all.  If you do come here, you will eat as we do (and by that, I mean "really well").

Start Date: Monday, August 16th
Typical current grocery bill:  $110/week
Starting weight:  I decline to answer on the grounds that I am a woman, and it's none of your business.
Time spent cooking:  varies.  A regular day - 1 hour...  on average perhaps 1-2/day

Wish us luck!  Stacey, I'm going to need to borrow your yogurt maker...  and mom...  your pasta maker.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea, Jess. I had a bunch of questions at first, but now I see your "official rules" post, which should answer them. Hopefully we can be resources for each other in our quests! With moving and my new job, it's been hard to keep the original intent of my blog, but it's still something I revere and strive for. Book suggestion for you: Real Food by Nina Planck!

    ReplyDelete