Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ginger Ale... Part 2

Time to open it!


It fizzed!  No kidding!?

I left it out of the fridge for 24 hours (the minimum time), though next time I will likely leave it a bit longer.  The carbonation was definitely there, but less than it should be to really be considered pop. 

As far as the taste went...  it was pretty good!  I'm not really a ginger ale aficionado, but it was pretty tasty.  It kind of reminded me of a fizzy, gingery lemonade.  Husband thought it was too sweet, but I think bumping up the carbonation level would have helped with that.  I worried it would have some lingering yeasty taste, but I didn't notice any. 

I'm going to try it again and see what I can do about making it better.  Another thought I had was to make a syrup with the sugar, lemon and ginger, and then strain it before it goes into the bottle.  While the chunks are easy to strain out, it would be a bit awkward while serving it to people if you have to plunk a strainer in their cup.  I don't really like to chew my drinks.

I was impressed.  Who knew you could make your own soda?  I think this year-long experiment is worth it just for that!  Gather round kids!  Mom is doing science!

No comments:

Post a Comment