Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Flour Debate.

So, apparently we're just going to have to let it slide.  Because we live in Canada, it is against food regulations to sell un-enriched flour or anything made with it.  In some ways I am relieved.  The idea of having to get some crazy/expensive/hard to find ingredient to do the majority of our cooking was daunting to say the least.  I'm still in a bit of panic mode, but at least a main ingredient isn't off the list.  Before you tell me that Laura and Mary Ingalls ground their own flour in a coffee maker...  I know.  Ain't gonna happen.

Husband amused me.

"Suzie...  this is just like that Pioneer show...  you know, except without the farming, and raising livestock and living in a shack you built yourself through a Canadian winter"

So...  not like it at all? 

(He's refering to the show called "Pioneer Quest" which offered families $100,000 if they gave up real life for a year to live like early settlers.  My all-time favourite episode was when one family had their barn catch fire and burn down, killing their giant pig.  They subsequently buried the entire pig.  I figured...  pre-made bacon!)

Luckily, we have something early settlers didn't have (other than modern appliances, refrigeration, grocery stores, cars, etc)...  THE INTERNET.

It's a valuable research source, and I think by using it, I'll be able to make the majority of things we used to eat.  Minus Kraft Dinner of course, but I could likely make a Mac'n'cheese that is pretty darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment