Thursday, August 19, 2010

Borscht-y Goodness.

I promised a friend I'd share my beet borscht recipe, since she was looking for a good one.  I, of course, think this one is the best, so here you go!


PORK STOCK:
1 chunk of pork, about 2 lbs
(since I don't like meat in my borscht, I use a roast of some variety, and when it's done make it into pulled pork sandwiches for Husband, My mom used neck bones.  The choice is yours)
salt and pepper
cover all ingredients with water and simmer.
Once the pork is cooked through, skim the frothy scum off the top and strain
(If you'd like to have meat in your soup, pull it apart and set it aside.)

COOKED BEETS:
With the beet peel still on, put about 6-8 in a pot, cover with water and boil until fork tender.
drain
(while still warm, the skin will come off easily)
peel and grate, set aside

BORSCHT
To the pork stock, add 2 regular onions (chopped) and 2 stalks celery (chopped), let simmer
then add 1/2 a small head of cabbage, sliced into thin strips.
continue simmering for about 15 minutes.
add 8 medium carrots, sliced or grated

add 1 large tomato, chopped
and 2 cans tomato soup
OR
1 large can diced tomatoes.

then add 3 "squirts" of ketchup
simmer to cook vegetables.

add cooked beets
and spices to taste (parsley, salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes)

This soup freezes really well, and is spicy and hearty.  Perfect for a cool day!

1 comment: