Monday, August 2, 2010

That's Mrs. Homemaker to you.

I've been kind of stuck lately.  I waver back and forth and have yet to make any kind of decision.  I can't decide if society is evolving in a good way or losing respect for our elders. 

As an adult, a mom and a wife, I have many names.  I need to brace myself for the day when people (other than telemarketers) will start to call me Mrs. Homemaker.  I also need to figure out how to deal with the Mr. & Mrs. deal with Girl.  As her vocabulary expands on a daily basis I am torn as to how to deal with this idea.  I am a big believer that we need to respect our elders, but as one of those elders, I'd really rather just be called Suzie. Girl will call the elders in the family by "tante" (aunt) or "uncle", and "oma" for her grandmothers, She will also use the proper address for teachers, etc, but I don't know where the line falls with other people.  I'm not a huge fan of calling people aunts and uncles if they're not related, and I have some friends who might have a coronary if they became Mr or Mrs.

As a chid I remember that there were always some people who went by their first names, regardless.  They were older than my parents, but I don't ever remember calling them Mr. or Mrs.  My friends' parents were a mish-mush.  Some were Mr and Mrs, and others were just first names. 

Of course, I asked my mom how this all worked out.  She told me that for the most part, she let us decide.  If people introduced themselves by their first name, I was under no obligation to call them Mr. or Mrs.  However, if they didn't introduce themselves at all, I was supposed to default to the more proper name. 

I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with it.  I may just do as my mom did and let the chips fall where they may.   I understand the whole respect thing, but as someone who would rather be addressed by her given name, I don't see how addressing me as Mrs. is respecting me.  Maybe I secretly don't want to grow up, or maybe I just prefer people to be a bit more casual around me. 

Granted, this is coming from the person who usually just makes eye contact and starts talking when her mother-in-law is in the room.  I've been trying to cough out "Mom"...  I really have. 

I guess if I still have a ways to go in this respect, I can't expect to have Girl get it all right, at least not right away.

3 comments:

  1. Non-family adults in my kid's life tend to be addressed as Mr. Firstname and Mrs. or Miss Firstname. It started that way because of their Sunday school teachers. Such as Mr. Rolly or Miss Leah...Our neighbours are Mr. Sean and Ms. Monique.

    On the other hand she could call people Brother and Sister Soandso. I would like to be called Lady Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree to let the chips fall where they may... Except maybe in school situations or someone just prefers it.

    I will never call my MIL "Mom".. I tried once and ended up coughing. It was really awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I avoided addressing my in laws as anything specific until I had kids at which point I just got to call them Opa and Oma.

    ReplyDelete