Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sew Expensive.

I've been toying with the idea of making my own clothes lately (in the winter of course when I only have a million things to do, not 2 million).  I grow so weary of buying clothes that once washed, turn boxy, shapeless or too short.  I already find most shirts too short (however, I have been loving the recent long-shirt trend, unfortunately I have a feeling it won't last forever).  So, simple things, here and there.  T-shirts, tank tops and the like.  I think I'd be able to manage, provided I have a bit of help along the way.  Then, I could modify clothes to suit my exact preferences and tastes, and not have to rely on what the stores decide is the must-have colour or style. 

I was at the fabric store, flipping through the pattern books, scoping things out for the next time the patterns go on sale, and I stumbled across this:


I've never been a huge fan of dolls, but I'm warming up to them now that I have Girl.  She does seem moderately more interested than I am, but my plan is to try to avoid having masses of pink by carefully selecting her dolls.  (The ones I can control at least). We'll see how that works out for me.

Anyhow, I saw this pattern and nearly died.  They are the cutest dolls I have ever seen, and really cute clothes.  I thought (in my naive mind) "These are the dolls I must get for Girl.  She will have cool dolls and there won't be a mass of pink feathers and glitter around the house".

I ran home to google this doll and nearly had a heart attack.  A cheap one sells for $180. 

*Disheartened sigh*

Oh you tease me so!  Apparently these dolls are for grown-ups...  you know, the people that won't touch them with sticky fingers and who have so much disposable income that they could buy a pair of $40 glasses and $80 shoes for their doll. 

Call me crazy, but as much as I love them (and for me to like a doll is a VERY big thing)...  I'm gonna say no. 

I guess I should get used to the feathers and glitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment