Thursday, August 12, 2010

The panic is setting in.


T-minus 4 days until D-Day and I'm starting to panic.  I'm having second thoughts, third thoughts and fifty-fourth thoughts. I decided to make a loaf or two of bread ahead of time, so that I have a few things to eat before Monday, and the first thing I need to do is learn how to read a recipe apparently.  After try #1 went into the trash, I made the sponge for try #2...  it's waiting for me in the kitchen to make the dough and knead this morning. before Girl wakes up.

I've discovered my first hitch.  Enriched flour.  It's full of ingredients I don't know.  Can you buy flour otherwise?  I was personally willing to let it slide, but of course husband (who let him be part of this anyway) said "that's part of the experiement!  You HAVE to find something else!".  I guess it's off to the store again.  I dread the idea of having to buy organic flour or something...  mainly because I'm cheap and if I have to be making all my own bread...

*sigh*.  Maybe I should go to bulk barn and see what I can find.  They have plenty of flours and grains, maybe I'll get lucky and find something that won't cost me $5 for a tiny bag. 

On the plus side, my local grocery store JUST started carrying greek yogurt.  High in protein, low in fat and nothing in it but cream and bacteria.  YAY!  I was planning on making tzaziki to eat in place of mayo-based things (dips, chicken salad, etc), so that was exciting to see.

2 comments:

  1. Can you get flour from Hutterites?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you discovered kefir yet? If not my mom can hook you up, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete