Thursday, August 26, 2010

Giving the knives a workout.

Sometimes my knives feel neglected.  I use them a lot, but it feels good to let them stretch their legs and perform once in a while.  My project today...  homemade salsa.


I like salsa.  It's good stuff.  What I have discovered I do not like...  peeling and seeding tomatoes.  Yes, I know the method of boiling water and ice baths, but egad, it's a pain.  I had originally intended to do my own canned tomatoes, but after doing salsa, I realize I can't be bothered.  It won't save me any money, since even the organic canned tomatoes are cheap, and fresh tomatoes aren't that cheap to begin with.  Considering I cook them down substantially every time I use them, I seriously doubt there would be a noticable difference in flavour.  So, instead of the pruney fingers and tomato mess everywhere, I'll just use a can.

7lbs tomatoes (approx 30)
2 cups chopped celery
2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
2 red peppers, seeded and chopped 
2 cups sweet onion
1 small red chili, seeded and chopped
2 large jalapenos, chopped (leave seeds in)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 can tomato paste
2-3 drops tobasco
3/4 cup white vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp pickling salt
2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley

This is a good "dump everything in the pot" recipe.  Get it all in there and simmer it until all the veggies are soft (about half an hour).  Ladle it, while still hot, into clean, sterile jars (ideally warm ones), filling to 1/2''-1/4'' from the top.  Making sure the top of the jar is clean, put on the lids and rings.  If the salsa is still hot, they will seal on their own with this method.

If you're worried, you can put them in a 250º oven for 10 minutes, or use a canner/hot water bath.

I haven't even tried the stuff and I'm already thinking of how to modify the recipe.  I think I'd like to try a smoked salsa...  use chipotle peppers, and smoked paprika, and maybe I'll smoke the tomatoes.  That would be fun.  I'm going to have a cupbard full of salsas soon.  Would that be such a bad thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment