Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Who knew?!

It's no secret Husband and I are trying for another baby. It hasn't been working nearly as easily as it did with Girl. *sigh*. It's frustrating, tedious and I've grown to really hate the "two week wait". I can't complain THAT much, since I know many people have much more trouble than us, but anyone who waits month after month and keeps coming up empty, can tell you it's a pain.


So here I am, trying for months on Baby #2, and I'm flipping through an old parenting magazine. I stumble on an article about what not to do while you're pregnant, and figure "yeah, been there done that", but I read it anyway.

After skimming through the typical, "don't dye your hair" and "try to avoid toluene in nail polish" I stop short.

What?!

"Don't use creams with vitamin A or retinol, because they can cause massive birth defects".

I stop, look over at my nightstand with my night cream and it's gleaming label. "VITAMIN A, RETINOL RENEWAL NIGHT CREAM"


DOH!

I started using it after Girl was born.  (Ok, let's be honest, after I turned 30 and figured I should start preserving the looks) Who knew!?  Now I'm starting to think I'm glad I didn't get pregnant.  Massive birth defects?  Sheesh!  That cream was tossed into the cupboard of misfit creams and will hang out until we're done having kids.  Say hi to the cellulite cream that didn't work and the "avoid stretch mark" maternity creams!  That reminds me.  It's time to clean out the cupboards.

5 comments:

  1. E-GAD!

    I being the biggest aging phobe, have surely used products containing those things throughout each pregnancy. Apparently I dodged the bullet, unless mad soccer skills and bizarre imagination/improv songwriting talent are considered defects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, maybe my memory-lapse, brain fart-causing tumor is the result of those products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a few of those moments myself, like falling down the stairs (If I were pregnant like I thought I should have been, baby could have been seriously hurt as I fell right onto my stomach and slid down)... it'll happen Jessica! :) I really do know how you're feeling, don't worry about the ones who might have had to wait longer, it still sucks when you're going through it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain... In the back of my mind, I'm sometimes fearful that we will have just as much trouble having a second child as we did with our first... Or maybe we will only be able to have one. One bit of advice I received when we were trying was to 'surrender'. It's so hard not having the ability to control this aspect of life, but perhaps that's the point. I'm not sure if it was coincidence or not (is there such a thing?), but it was once we came to the point of being completely alright with being parents or not being parents, that we conceived. God's timing really is perfect... Even if it's a difficult thing to accept at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Stacey.. in our case Tim had no problem accepting God's timing but it was a lesson that I needed to learn and it felt like as soon as I started accepting it and moving on in a sense, we found out about Hudson! It can seem SO hard when you're going through it, though.

    ReplyDelete