Saturday, August 21, 2010

When your yard is a marsh... make MARSHMALLOWS!

I've wanted to make marshmallows for a long time, and what better time?  I can't do dishes, I can't wash laundry and Girl was sleeping.  I checked the internet, and since most recipes call for corn syrup, I decided to experiment.  Here is my recipe!

3 packages gelatin (good thing I'm not a vegetarian)
1/2 cup cool water

Mix together in the bottom of your mixer bowl and let "bloom" for 5-10 minutes

Then in a small saucepan, mix:
2 cups white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup water

bring to a boil and keep boiling until it passes 250º (somewhere between soft ball and hard ball stage)


Once it has boiled, turn on the mixer on a medium speed and s..l...o...w...l...y stream the sugar mixture into the gelatin mixture.  Once it is all in, crank that mixer to high speed and let it go for about 10 minutes until you have a big white sticky mess.


Grease a pan, (I used a 9x13, glass pan, but if you want fatter marshmallows for roasting or something, use a 9'' square) and lightly dust it with icing sugar.

Dump the mix in, and with wet fingers, smooth it out.


Once it has set, cut it up and you have marshmallows!


Husband couldn't quite understand why I made marshmallows to start off with...  you see, we don't exactly sit around eating them from a bag normally, but when I reminded him that rice krispie cake is made with marshmallows it all made sense. 

Unfortunately, now I want to try flavoured marshmallows.  Who wants a maple marshmallow roasted over the fire?

2 comments: