Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Love and life and laughter

Tomorrow is Husband's birthday, and in a few weeks we reach our 9th wedding anniversary, so I tend to reflect at this time of year.  Like any couple, we have had ups and downs, but with a lot of love and labour, we have kept the downs to a minimum.  He is truly my best friend, my lover and my soulmate (and I know him well enough to know that I'm probably embarrassing him right now).

The last few years have marked big changes, changes in work, in life and location.  We decided together to expand our family, and Girl came into our lives.  From the moment I got pregnant, I knew that with everything in my power, the love I had for Girl would be added to our lives, not stripped from Husband.  Our relationship would be, always, my number one.  I knew my heart would expand to add another, but I would fight fiercely if that threatened my chosen love. 

There are some of you that may seem appalled by this, I'm sure.  Maybe you even think that I'm not giving enough love to Girl, because Husband will understand.  It's a choice I made and will defend. 

I grew up in a home where this type of love existed.  I knew there was nothing I, or anyone else, could do to get between my parents.  Until the day my dad died, (after 27 years of marriage) my parents were newlyweds.  They were so much in love with each other.  It didn't make me feel resentful, or less than, or neglected.  It made me feel secure.  There is no greater stress in a child's life than insecurity.  Home was that proverbial "safe place to land".  More than anything, I too want to give that to Girl.  It is the best gift we can possibly give her.  Security goes hand in hand with self-esteem, independence and strength.  She will learn care and compassion and integrity from the way Husband and I treat each other.  More than anything, she will learn to love... true, unending, passionate love.  I'm a big fan of that love, and I want her to feel that love too. I want her to find a man who will share that love with her.  It's a legacy I want to continue.

We will take these years and parent together, and someday it will be just us again, watching our children find their own loves and lives and families.  I pray that the years to come will be full of as many laughs and smiles and hugs as the ones that came before. 

Happy Birthday Husband!  I love you.

3 comments:

  1. I love it and truly agree with you. I don't always implement it well... but you said it best with "the best gift we can give her".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, we should always put the love between our spouses and us first and foremost. That love keeps the family strong! :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete