Saturday, September 4, 2010

Chips!

I like chips.  I really do.  Ketchup chips especially.  Unfortunately, they're not made by drying real ketchup onto potatoes, so they're out for the year.  I did however, find some varieties of chips that are just potatoes, oil and salt, so I figured I'd do a side-by-side comparison for you.


Veggie Chips:  These are the ones that taste as though they should be the most healthy. However, they had the most calories (250) for the portion size (all the chips are pictured with their recommended portion size). They did have one of the larger portion sizes, so that could account for it too.  They're more of a manufactured chip...  made from potato mash, and different veggies thrown in.  The taste is decent, but it's more like something I'd give to Girl.  They kind of dissolve in your mouth a bit.  I really didn't like the green ones, they had a somewhat unpleasant taste.  Overall, they were ok.  I'd eat them, but if I had the choice, I'd likely opt for something else.

Kettle Brand Salted:  I enjoyed these chips until I dumped the last of them from the bag and some oil spilled out into my bowl. That was a little weird.  They tasted really good, nice and crunchy and well salted, though their portion size was the smallest (at 225 calories).  I found them a bit greasy.  I don't like to be reminded that what I'm eating was swimming in a vat of oil, and my mom always told me that deep frying properly (at a hot enough temperature) means that it won't be greasy.  These were greasy.

Miss Vickie's Crinkle Cut Original:  My hands-down favourite.  They had a large portion size (at 225 calories).  They were what plain potato chips should be.  Well salted, crispy but not greasy, and really tasty. 

I think overall, they were all edible, but I think Miss Vickie's stood out because I didn't feel they NEEDED dip. 

I do miss the ketchup flavour though.

4 comments:

  1. Lays Salted Chips (plain or lightly salted) also have only potatoes, oil and salt. But they are greasy. Veerry greasy. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to need to make my own. That would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet they would taste great! I know if I made my own chips I likely wouldn't inhale them as quickly... too much work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the point. If it isn't as easy to get... would we eat mindlessly?

    ReplyDelete