Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pan-fried pickerel

Once upon a time, pickerel used to appear in my freezer, frozen in water-filled milk cartons.  That doesn't happen anymore, so I had to fork out the cash to buy some (which, considering Husband went fishing a few weeks ago and caught a bunch, and didn't bring any home, was very depressing).  No free lunches.

I know a lot of people like to batter and deep fry pickerel, but I'm more of a fan of a simple pan-fry.

Take your pickerel, and dredge it in flour.  That's fancy "cook speak" for coat the outside with flour.  If it sticks it stays!


Then sprinkle with seasoning salt and you're ready to go.


Heat your pan with equal portions of butter and oil.  (about 1 generous tablespoon of each) You can do this with one or the other, but I like the flavour of the butter, and since butter burns more easily, adding oil to it keeps that from happening.


It only takes about 3 minutes per side (depending on the thickness of your filet.).  With whitefish like these, you just need to wait until it's opaque and flaky all the way through.  All in, this took me about 10 minutes, start to finish. 


Serve with seafood sauce, or tartar sauce, a salad and some creamy parmesan noodles, and you have my exact meal tonight.  It might get creepy if this happens often, but I won't mind this time if you copy me exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment