Thursday, September 9, 2010

Green Relish.


Relish is one of those weird things...  I never seem to use it, yet when you can't...  you keep realizing how much stuff you stick it into.  I knew I'd have to make some, but making a lot seemed like a waste, since I'm pretty sure I've had my half-full bottle for a few years.  I found a recipe that seemed easy enough to make smaller, and I did a 1/6th recipe and the pint jar above shows you how much I got. It's not that fussy, so approximate measurements seemed ok.  Here is the whole recipe so you can split it however you want. 

6 cups cucumber, finely diced (small cucumbers work best, less seeds)
3 cups onions finely diced
2 cups chopped celery
1 1/2 chopped green peppers
1 chopped sweet red pepper
1/4 cup salt
1L cold water

Put all these ingredients together and let stand overnight.  Drain well.

Add:

1L white vinegar
3 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp celery seed
2 1/2 tsp mustard seed
(I didn't have either of these in the house, so I threw in some picking spice)

Heat to boiling, simmer 10-15 minutes.  Seal in hot jars.  (I didn't bother sealing because I only made half a jar.  It'll last fine in the fridge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment