Thursday, September 16, 2010

Smoked roasted red peppers

This was the last of my canning efforts, so I figured I'd throw it up here, since who knows, somewhere along the line I might use these in a recipe.  I have always liked roasted red peppers from a jar, and since I was on a bit of a canning kick, I decided to give it a go.  Of course, I had to modify, so mine are smoked first.  There is very little in the world that can't be made better with a lttle smoke. 

We were in the U.S. a little while ago, saving big money at Menards, and for some crazy reason, Husband thought bring home a sump pump would be better value for our cross-border-shopping-limit than a fancy smoker.  I did however manage to snag a smoker box for the BBQ.


I filled it wh mesquite chips and stuck it on the coals inside the BBQ, and turned on the flame.


I think it took about 20 minutes to go from this to this...


Then, under running water, I peeled of all the skin and washed out the seeds.


leaving me with...


...a pile of roasted red peppers.  These went into jars with some chunks of onion, a few cloves of garlic and the same brine I used for pickles way back when. 

13 cups water
4 cups vinegar
1 cup salt
1 1/2 cups sugar

(I also did some pickled carrots using the exact same recipe as the pickles, so I did a whole batch of brine, otherwise, I would have cut the recipe down, since there were only 4 jars of red peppers)

Now, unfortunately, I didn't get as much smoke as I had liked from my wood chips (likely since I didn't read the directions before tossing the package) especially after they all started on fire... so I did add a few drops of liquid smoke to each jar before sealing them up.  It smelled AMAZING.

Into a boiling water canner for about 20 minutes and they were done like dinner. 


No comments:

Post a Comment