Monday, September 6, 2010

I sacrificed myself again.

Chocolate taste tests...  such hard work I do. My mom told me once that every job worth doing, is worth doing right, so I put my nose to the grindstone and buckled down.


I had three different chocolates.  Now, let's get this straight right from the get-go.  I'm no chocolate connoisseur.  I'm almost as happy with semi sweet chocolate chips and Three Musketeers.  I do however, know what I like, and for corroboration, I begged my chocolate-loving SIL for help (luckily we had similar opinions, one wouldn't want to start a family feud).  All these chocolates contain only whole ingredients, and I did notice they are all fair trade.

Terra Nostra Double Dark Truffle:  I had high hopes for this one, as it was recommended to me, but maybe I picked the wrong bar.  They had 9 different varieties, and since I'm not that interested in rice milk, or goji berries in my chocolate, I went for the most simple.  Their website describes it as having "a sophisticated smoothness and subtle vanilla/floral entry flavors, distinct and consistent cocoa notes throughout and a beautiful finish with lingering cocoa flavors."  Not really my experience.  I thought initially that it was just too dark a bar for me, but at 60% cocoa, it should have been great.  I found it to be harsh, and had an acidic, pine tree kind of aftertaste.  Maybe that's what you want?  Not me.  It didn't melt in my mouth as nicely either. 

Next up was Cocoa Camino Caramel Crunch.  Overall, an enjoyable bar.  It's not really a "put it in your mouth and let it melt" kind of bar, because of all the toffee pieces.  For that reason alone it's difficult to savor as one should with good chocolate.  Somehow, chewing and swallowing $5 chocolate bars seemed like a bit of sacrilege, but it still tasted good.  It was creamy, the chocolate was nice and the toffee bits added a nice crunch and sweetness.

Lastly (if you've figured out now, I usually do my favourites last.):  Alter Eco Fair Trade Dark Chocolate Velvet.  I think it might be the hint of milk that made this one better.  It was so creamy, and delicious.  Exactly what you want as a savouring chocolate. It melted into nice chocolately puddles of heaven.  I am torn now as to whether to save it until I've made it through the rest of the chocolate, or eat it all today.  My style tends to be (when eating just about anything) to save the best for last, so I guess that's what I'll do.  Though, remind me to hide them before Husband is hankering for a late night snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment