Monday, September 27, 2010

Twice Baked Potatoes


Twice baked potatoes are one of those things that, once you get it, are impressive and simple at the same time.  The recipe is so basic that you can do almost anything with them...  switch out the cheeses, add spices, or roasted garlic.  I know it's hard to believe, but I have made miniature versions (using the baby red potatoes) as appetizers.

Stab all your potatoes... a bunch of times.  I almost yelled at the TV once when Paula Deen was on, because she said you were supposed to stab potatoes (just once) so they cook faster.  I'm pretty sure it's so that they don't explode.  I tend to start my potatoes in the microwave, especially since I usually make them with wings, and that way, they don't have to be in the oven much longer than the wings.  You can start them in the oven though if you want.  I do finish them in the oven so they get a nice crunchy peel.  (makes for easier scooping too).  They're usually in the microwave for about 5 minutes, more if they're all big, less if I'm only doing a few.  Then, into the oven for about 15-20 minutes to crisp them up. 

The most difficult part of making these is scooping them out.  Like I said, it does make it a lot easier if they're baked, but I have done them straight out of the microwave too.  Just cup off the top and scoop out the flesh.


Once it's all out, you can mash it, but I love my ricer.  There are never lumps when you make mashed potatoes with a ricer. 


Plus, it reminds me of my Play-doh barbershop.


Once it's all riced, simply stir in some butter, milk (start slow and add, you can always add more, but you can't take it away) and grated cheese. A bit of salt is smart too... especially if you're not going to eat them with copious amounts of hot sauce.


Mix it all together and stuff back into your empty peels.


I usually top with a bit of extra cheese, and then they go into the oven just until the cheese melts through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment