Sunday, September 19, 2010

Don't let it die.

A friend of mine told me about a series on Hot 103, where they were talking about not letting things die...  things that our parents can do, but we don't, things that will likely disappear with their generation.  I have stumbled onto numerous conversations about this in the past, and have always been amazed.  Why on earth should we enjoy tortes while we still have them?  I personally am planning on just taking over the reigns.  I wonder why our generation is so fearful of those things?  I love making pickles, and jam, and every year I worry that I won't be able to find new jars or lids anymore, as it gets less and less popular.

Doing all of these things is simple, and I wonder whose fault their disappearance is.  Is it our lack of intrest?  Or is it our parents failure to instill those skills in us?  I know in some families, the parents are reluctant to pass the torch, "It's what I do", and they will cook the turkey dinner until the day they die.  When that happens, either someone will have to jump in to be the designated dinner-maker, or they will be ordering pizza.

I have also seen a big lack of interest.  We take for granted that someone will always be there to do these things for us.  When I lost my grandmother (at 75) and Dad (at 50) in the same year, I realized this is not the case.  If I want traditions to be part of my family, I am the one who has to do it.  My 52 year old mother is our family matriarch.  There are no 4 or 5-generation pictures for us to take. 

I will sew, I will pickle, and I will bake.  I will teach those skills to Girl (and Husband can teach her how to change the oil in her car), and we won't let it die.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff (passing on the torch). I think the biggest culprit of these "home economics" practices falling by the wayside is the evolution of the pace of North American life. We make ourselves so busy nowadays. I know that even my mom doesn't really can, bake, or sew. The lack of those three things have made me want to incorporate them into my life even more though.

    Also, I think every girl should learn how to jump start a car and change a flat.

    ReplyDelete