Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mushroom Barley Risotto

I was flipping through a magazine lately and stumbled on a recipe for barley risotto.  I hadn't even though of doing a risotto with barley before, and though the recipe was completely different, I instantly thought of  mushroom barley soup.  This is odd, since I don't like mushrooms.  I don't think I've ever actually eaten mushroom barley soup, but I could see how people would like it.

Husband likes mushrooms though. 

I also don't like steak, so while he was eating dinner tonight, I ate leftovers.  I don't eat a big chunk of the food I make.  It's weird I know.  Husband doesn't mind being my guinea pig.

Here is the recipe I came up with.

First, fry up some mushrooms in about 1 Tbsp of butter.


I used a 200g package, but it's about 10 good sized mushrooms.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Once the mushrooms are nicely browned, remove from the pan and set aside.  In the same pan, add another tablespoon of butter (let it melt), 1/2 cup of diced onion and 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley. 


Let this cook for a few minutes, and then you can start adding liquid.  To make a risotto, you need to add liquid lowly, letting each bath absorb into the barley before adding more, while stirring regularly.  It's best to have your liquid (stock) being kept warm in a small pot nearby, you'll need about 3-4 cups.

Once the barley has toasted with the onions, add 1/2 cup red wine, this will also help you deglaze the pan...  all that gunk stuck on there is flavour, get it all up into the liquid.


Once the wine has been absorbed start adding beef stock (really, any stock will do in a pinch).  Add it one ladleful at a time, stirring until it has been completely absorbed.  Risotto requires patience.  Luckily, Husband was covering the steak on the BBQ.  Add salt and pepper and 2 cloves of crushed garlic too.

Once the barley has plumped up and is nice and soft and creamy, add the mushrooms back in for just long enough for the flavours to blend


There you have it.  Dee-lish! (or so I was told... granted, I'm pretty sure Husband didn't say "Dee-lish")

No comments:

Post a Comment