Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Frustrated!

I wish I knew what defined "organic" or "all-natural"...  these two terms seem to be kind of buzz words these days.  I can walk through an organic supermarket and still not see anything without xanthan gum or monosoidumoxitate (I don't think that's real...  I just made it up).  "All-natural" is even more vague.  (As opposed to what?  Extra-terrestrial?)

When I saw a flour advertised in the Safeway flier as not having additives, I was intrigued.  So I went and bought it.


Fancy.  Big red block letters.  NO ADDITIVE.  It's written on the package in a few places.  Then I read the ingredients...


Unbleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine, mononitrate, ribofavin, folic acid.

For a flour with no additives it sure has a lot of ingredients.  It's not much different than any of the other unbleached all-purpose flours.  (To note:  all these "additives" are what make flour "enriched"... they're vitamins and minerals).

It just makes me wonder which "additive" they left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment