Sunday, September 5, 2010

Food

I wish I understood food ingredients better.  I've been trying to read "In Defense of Food" lately, but Michael Pollan seems to be one of those people who think "Why say things in 10 words, when you can use 45?"   Those kind of writers annoy me.  I like a bit of flourish, but sheesh, let's get to the point.   It was his philosophy of "Eat food, Not too much, Mostly plants"  that started me on this journey.  He talks a lot about how the "foods" we find in the grocery store are more science experiment than food, and that there is no reason we need cake that can be left on the counter for 5 years with no ill-effects.  Hey, I love my junk food too, but I can kind of see his point.  The cake I make is better, and if I have to make it every time I want it, I definitely enjoy it more.  There is no mindless eating over here.  

(Before anyone starts to wonder why I started this journey three weeks ago and am only just now reading the book...  I saw him on Oprah.  He makes a lot more sense when he's crammed into a segment and not trying to bulk up a book.)

One point Pollan made is that in the "Western Diet" we keep having these fads. There was the "everyone-eat-bran fad" and the "don't-eat-animal-fat fad", the "low-fat fad", the "low-carb fad", the "high-fibre fad" and even now... the "omega three fad"  (do we need to inject everything with omega three?).  Where has it gotten us?  We're getting fatter.  Other cultures are still eating very much their traditional diets, and they don't have the same problems.  Hence, real food.  Pollin said that if what you are eating is making a health claim on it's brightly coloured package, it's likely not that healthy.  The low-fat fad made us all fatter!

So, here we are.  Looking at food through different eyes. 

It's interesting now to go to grocery stores and read ingredents, even when I was at the organic market yesterday, I was amazed at how much of that food I couldn't buy either.  (Like I said, this is NOT an organic diet).  That food is twice the price and full of the same unrecognizable ingredients.  I suppose it's created in an organic labratory... unless xanthan gum grows on trees.  No thanks.  I'll buy some organic things if they're the only available option (like chocolate, or canned tomatoes), but I have no desire to shop organic any time soon.  I wonder if the "organic food" fad will strengthen at some point.  I figure, the people who truly eat organically will be the ones who identify the most with what we're doing...  but, if you're eating organic oreos...  you're not doing anyone any favours.  

I love food.  I always have.  I don't love it any less having to make it myself.  In fact, I think I love it more.  Knowing that I made it, gives us a special bond.  Knowing how hard it was to make, forces me to cherish it more.  It's like kids.  Other people's kids just aren't as great as your own (who KNOWS what they put in those kids!).

No comments:

Post a Comment